Registration of media type application/xhtml-voice+xml

Jonny Axelsson jax at opera.com
Wed Aug 3 13:14:49 CEST 2005

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 10:14:02 +0200, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi at gmx.net>
wrote:

> Well, application/xhtml+xml has a profile parameter to indicate
> specific profiles such as XHTML+Voice; why is a new XHTML+Voice
> media type preferable here?

This is only semi-related to this question, but profile parameters are
unreliable. OMA did something similar with a Mobile Profile of XHTML (an
almost pure subset of XHTML), using the XHTML content type. As a
consequence we tested parameters and found them somewhat unreliable. I
don't remember the details but clients didn't always lop the parameters
off, servers didn't always serve them.

I guess this just goes to show that if a feature is unused long enough
interoperability suffers (that it is unused may also indicate that this
wasn't such a good idea but that is another debate).

--
Jonny Axelsson, Core Technology, Opera Software ASA