Media Types in 3GPP Timed text draft (was: RE: [AVT] RTP andMediaTypes)

Colin Perkins csp at csperkins.org
Tue Sep 7 14:25:52 CEST 2004

Jose,

On 7 Sep 2004, at 12:56, Jose Rey wrote:
> [...]

There are other text formats that include formatting modifiers, for
example "text/html". I don't understand why their presence would make
this a video format.

>>> 2.- we are not clear on what exactly means to "relax rules for media
>>> registration under text/".  I.e. is text/t140 an example of these
>>> "relaxed" rules or does it comply with the traditional rules as per
>>> rfc 2046?  Does the relaxed rules just mean that besides text also
>>> payload headers of that media type are udnerstood?
>>
>> My understanding is that the new rules are intended to allow formats
>> such as 3GPP timed text to be registered under the text top-level
>> media
>> type, if appropriate, provided their domain of applicability is
>> clearly
>> specified (e.g. the domain of applicability might be that the type is
>> defined for transfer via RTP only).
>
> The MIME subtype /3gpp-tt cannot be used for HTML download since for
> that
> purpose a 3gp file and therefore the video/3gp MIME type is used.  So I
> think this is indeed restricted to RTP.  However,  what is the gain of
> doing that?

My point was that, since this is restricted to transport via RTP, it
can be registered under the "text" top-level media type.

> Given the answer to the first question I think registering under
> text/ would not be of any use?

Why not? It would seem to be the natural home for a timed text format.

Colin