Media Types in 3GPP Timed text draft (was: RE: [AVT] RTP andMediaTypes)

Jose Rey rey at panasonic.de
Tue Sep 7 13:56:26 CEST 2004

Colin,

Thanks for your answers. See inline.

below..

> Is this fundamentally text or a video codec? If it's a video
> codec, it should be under "video/", otherwise under "text/".

I think it is a video codec, since without the video capabilities
(modifiers) it would just provide the same services as , e.g.,
conversational text=just plain timed text, for which it is not thought to be
used.

> > 2.- we are not clear on what exactly means to "relax rules for media
> > registration under text/".  I.e. is text/t140 an example of these
> > "relaxed" rules or does it comply with the traditional rules as per
> > rfc 2046?  Does the relaxed rules just mean that besides text also
> > payload headers of that media type are udnerstood?
>
> My understanding is that the new rules are intended to allow formats
> such as 3GPP timed text to be registered under the text top-level media
> type, if appropriate, provided their domain of applicability is clearly
> specified (e.g. the domain of applicability might be that the type is
> defined for transfer via RTP only).

The MIME subtype /3gpp-tt cannot be used for HTML download since for that
purpose a 3gp file and therefore the video/3gp MIME type is used.  So I
think this is indeed restricted to RTP.  However,  what is the gain of doing
that?   Given the answer to the first question I think registering under
text/ would not be of any use?

Cheers,

Jose