request for subtag for Elfdalian

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Mon Mar 7 17:09:48 CET 2016

Kent,

You're missing my points. The point of mentioning literature isn't to demonstrate sufficient status for 639-2, but rather has to do with the level of development of the variety in question. And by "development", I don't mean its evolution as a linguistically distinct entity, but rather it's attaining a particular functional status as a result of literacy, literature development and standardization.

> True, but that does not make it any less of a language.

I wasn't asserting that being in a Swedish context on its own implies it isn't a language. Rather, when evaluating a varieties functional status, being in the context of another language variety that has a dominant social status is relevant.

Again, I'm not asserting that Elfdalian can't be viewed as a distinct language because it doesn't have a certain status. What I am saying is that, if it isn't obvious whether it has a significant _linguistic_ distinctness (and this may not have been obvious to the RA - the proposal doc doesn't provide clear evidence), then one is left evaluating sociolinguistic factors. The proposal describes the sociolinguistic status of a language in _early_ stages of preservation, revival and development (in the sense given above). On its own, that's not a strong case for being a distinct language. So, as I said in an earlier mail, a revised proposal should complement that with evidence that there is significant linguistic distinctness.

Peter