ISO 639-5 reconfirmation ballot (long)

Anthony Aristar anthony at aristar.org
Mon Jul 18 22:51:13 CEST 2016

Well, there are two reasons why using alpha-3 codes is a very bad idea.
First, the number of codes we would need in order to code any possible
subgrouping hypothesis is very large.  I question whether the alpha-3
code-space is large enough for both languages and subgroups.  Second,
we're missing the human factor here.  ISO 639-3 is used extensively by
linguists now.  A number of them have personally said to me that they
don't want to have to look up a code to know whether it refers to a
subgroup hypothesis or a language.

As for a replacement for ISO 639-5... well, I could suggest you look at
the Multitree system, though I hesitate to suggest it since I was
responsible for it.  Perfect it is not, but it is eminently usable, for
the system is very extensive indeed, and since codes are defined by
trees which are as complete as possible, you can always tell what
languages would fall under them.