ISO 639-5 reconfirmation ballot (long)

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Mon Jul 18 22:26:46 CEST 2016

The lack of documentation about relationships between "collections" and individual languages is a problem that Gary Simons and I called out about 15 years ago. The problem was there in 639-2 before 639-5 was even conceived. And looking at the MARC Language Code List, which was the key source for 639-2, doesn't help a whole lot. From a dialectology perspective, it's all a bit of a mess; but if the librarians find it useful, then it's a useful mess. (Note that the librarians did not ask for and, AFAIK, do not use the additional collections added in 639-5.)

So, IMO, it is what is it, just leave it be, and don't make any great (or even modest) expectations of it. If someone decides we really need a more comprehensive coding system for collections, then perhaps an extension using a new system not constrained to alpha-3 IDs in the 639 ID space would be the best approach.

Peter