Appeal to ISO 639 RA in support of Elfdalian

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Tue Apr 26 00:36:14 CEST 2016

I'm just trying to provide creative solutions out of a stalemate. I don't see why it would really matter what the historic relationship is between items encompassed in a macrolanguage. I'm sure there are similar issues in the existing macrolanguages.

But I also don't have a pony in this race, so to speak. If Elfdalian is best considered a distinct language, then I think the best thing is have it coded as such in ISO 639-3. I've suggested an option for that, but I won't be the one impacted if that suggestion isn't followed, and I won't be the one impacted if Elfdalian is never coded in ISO 639-3, or never well supported in implementations that expect only 639-1/-2/-3 subtags. If you can come up with other ways to get it coded in 639-3 while avoiding strong opposition from the Swedish agencies, great. If not and you have a difficult time getting the desired result, that will be too bad, but I won't be losing sleep.

So, I think I've done what I can to offer input that might be helpful into this issue. I'll answer specific questions if asked, but otherwise won't continue posting on this thread. I won't offer my name for any communication with the RA on this topic since I am not in any sense an expert on the language varieties in question. But I wish you success.

Peter