Appeal to ISO 639 RA in support of Elfdalian

Mats Blakstad mats.gbproject at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 06:14:30 CEST 2016

> Suggest to the RA that they change the scope of “swe” to Macrolanguage,
> and have that macrolanguage entry encompass new entries for Elfdalian and
> Swedish proper.
>

> The concept of macrolanguage was introduced as a compromise for cases in
> which something needs to be considered a single language in some contexts

Swedish is more similar to Norwegian and Danish than it is to Elfdalian. I
really don't understand in what contexts it would be proper to consider it
as a single language. To me it seems more like a type of encoding that can
make people more easily misunderstand the relations.

> Just an idea for how to get what Mats, Michael and others want while
> providing an option for the RA that might also satisfy the Swedish agencies
> in question.

Why is it important to satisfy the Swedish governmental agency that didn't
give the proofs? You wrote earlier that you were concerned about other
language communities beyond Elfdalian - I guess for any language in similar
situation it would be a pain to let a governmental influence on the process
like this.