Language Subtag Registration -- "wpsimple"

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Sat Oct 31 15:25:20 CET 2015

Peter Constable scripsit:

> I really think we should register a variant subtag in this case if
> it can be described as a specific variant of a particular language
> without reference to any single application, and if that’s a variant
> that has potential use beyond a single application.

In this context, "Wikipedia" is not an application, but a set of
standards.  "wpsimple" means "simple according to the definitions put
forward by the Wikimedia Foundation".  If you write English or French
or Igbo according to those standards in any context, you are entitled
to tag it "wpsimple"; it is not specific to the Wikipedia application.

That said, I agree that this tag is over-specific, and "simple" would
be a more useful tag generally.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
The first thing you learn in a lawin' family is that there ain't
no definite answers to anything.  --Calpurnia in To Kill A Mockingbird