Language Subtag Registration -- "wpsimple"

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Fri Oct 30 14:06:18 CET 2015

On 30 Oct 2015, at 02:01, Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft.com> wrote:

> If the only requirements are immediate availability and conformance, then "x-simple" will do. Before we go _registering_ a variant subtag, we should be sure that it's something generally useful and is done in a sensible way.

They’ve been thinking about this for a long time. en-x-simple might be better than simple, but I don’t see how that’s better than en-wpsimple.

> I'm not yet convinced that the proposed subtag is generally useful beyond one application.

It is a very big application.

> (I'm not predisposed to saying it is _not_, btw.) And I'm definitely not convinced that the approach taken is sensible — I lean toward Felix's concerns in this case.

I don’t even understand his concerns. “Some community will demand their own subtag” does not convince me, because I am sure that an eventual fr-wpsimple or ru-wpsimple would just use the subtag which refers to the Wikimedia Foundation’s house rules for the entity in use.

Michael