Registration request for new subtags for Portuguese orthographies

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Mar 26 20:02:48 CET 2015

Luc Pardon <lucp at skopos dot be> wrote:

> Also, with "Prefix: pt-PT", we take away the possibility of writing
> "pt-ao1990". Why would that be a good idea?

Technically, it is valid but not recommended to use a variant with a
prefix not listed for that variant (Section 3.1.8). So it would be
possible (legal even) to write "pt-ao1990", but we would be sending the
message that such a tag was ill-conceived and perhaps meaningless, as if
the user had written "zh-scouse". I agree that this would not be a good
idea.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸