Registration request for new subtags for Portuguese orthographies

Mark Davis ☕️ mark at macchiato.com
Fri Mar 20 18:32:20 CET 2015

You appear to be applying a much higher bar for this than for other variant
subtags (many of which are far less useful), demanding a level of proof
that was not applied to all earlier subtags. And as Peter said "what
matters is that there are authors who would like to characterize their
content as "pt-ao1990" --- that is, as Portuguese with spelling based on
Acordo Ortográfico da Língua Portuguesa de 1990 --- and users who would
like to indicate a preference for the same."

The fact that people mix orthographies is a fact of life: look at what
happened in Germany after the latest spelling reforms.

The stability that BCP47 cares about is stability of the existence and
approximate denotation of subtags. It can never be more than approximate,
since the boundaries between dialects and orthographies are inherently
somewhat fuzzy. What is important is that the variants just be sufficiently
well recognized by the user community so as to be useful.

Mark <https://google.com/+MarkDavis>

*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*