Deprecating grandfathered tags redux

Phillips, Addison addison at lab126.com
Sat Mar 7 16:52:23 CET 2015

On March 7, 2015, at 7:09 AM, Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com> wrote:

>>> Mark initially suggested deprecating this and adding a language-variant
>>> combination "en-oxford" as the Preferred-Value. (Here and below, adding
>>> Preferred-Values obviously involves adding variant subtags as
>>> necessary.) After some discussion about the ambiguous meaning of
>>> 'oxford', Michael and John suggested 'oxendict' instead. Other
>>> contenders were 'oxdict' (John) and 'oedict' (Addison Phillips).
>>
>> I withdraw 'oxdict' in favor of 'oxendict’.

>That’s very good.

I withdraw oedict simply because I don't think it matters. A beauty contest seems unnecessary.

However, I want to point out that using the existing "subtag"of Oxford is probably a good idea. If we change the subtag, the deprecation will cause existing tags to change when canonicalized. Making the existing subtag composable is also easier to explain. After all, we commonly say that the subtag itself doesn't matter.

Addison

(Sent from my Fire HDX)