registration requests re Portuguese

João Miguel Neves joao at silvaneves.org
Fri Apr 10 21:21:40 CEST 2015

Hi,

Yes, abl1943 was Brazil's first official orthographic reform. It crystallised most of what we now recognise as Brazilian Portuguese. The preparation work was really interesting: a collection of a lot of the variants existing throughout that huge country. As colb1945 came mostly from the Portuguese reform of 1911, it was seen by some as a loss of independence towards Portugal. It ended up being adopted in 1971. That didn't remove some of the choices made with abl1943, but made both countries' Portuguese closer.

Best regards,
João