Unifon script?

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Tue Oct 1 21:21:27 CEST 2013

Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft dot com> wrote:

> We can certainly "know" that unifon implies Latin script, but having
> that in the LSTR would have been helpful.

Peter, would you propose having a mechanism that strongly encourages
users of 'fonipa' and 'fonupa' and 'fonxsamp' to include the 'Latn'
script subtag as well? (Prefixes can only "strongly encourage"; they
can't enforce.)

RFC 5646 recommends keeping tags short, and specifically avoiding
unnecessary script subtags (Section 4.1). There's still one day left
before the 'unifon' subtag was to be submitted to IANA. We could add a
Comments field saying that Unifon is a Latin-based orthography, and for
that matter, could also add such a comment to the other subtags listed
above. That would cause this sort of information to be embedded in the
Registry, but not in subtags.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, USA
http://ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­