Proposed general model for Serbo-Croatian continuum

Phillips, Addison addison at lab126.com
Fri Nov 22 16:19:35 CET 2013

Latn and Cyrl are lower-case recommended for use with the Serbian subtag in particular, though. I agree with John that encouraging the script subtag (and making clear that the variants are not mutually exclusive with them) is probably helpful. Although BCP47 didn't directly address this case, section 3.1.8 does make clear that one use for prefix fields is showing other subtag sequences that are permitted/sensible. The examples given are of other variants, which are the important case, but it does show that redundant prefixes are allowed--and sometimes even necessary.

In this case, Doug, you're correct that the prefixes aren't required and might lead to a jumble of prefixes as more Serbian subtag are contemplated. But I tend to regard script free Serbian tags with suspicion. And I anyways suspect that "pronunciation only" isn't strictly the limit of this subtag (there may not be orthographic differences, but there are likely to be at least word choice or other discernable written differences, or, failing that, the tag might represent a preference for reading a given text with a specific pronunciation: tags usually become attached to text at some point).

In short, I don't think it would be harmful to encourage the script subtags, although I could equally support omitting them here. I suspect that, when we're done, someone should write "Best Practices for How to Tag Serbian"...

Addison

(Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX)

Doug Ewell <doug at ewellic.org> wrote:
John Cowan wrote:

> No no.  What Doug doesn't like is the idea of explicitly specifying
> 'sr-Latn' and 'sr-Cyrl' as prefixes along with 'sr'.  He says it's
> redundant, which is true:  I just think the redundancy helps clarity
> in this case.

That, and I don't like the perception that -Latn and -Cyrl are
specifically being RECOMMENDED (§ 3.1.8) for use with these variant
subtags, when if anything, a script subtag would be *less* appropriate
with a variant that indicates pronunciation.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, USA
http://ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­