New variant subtags for Serbian language

Yury Tarasievich yury.tarasievich at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 18:04:57 CET 2013

Yes, yes, you may get lots of (spoken) dialects
in a language area, dividing up the territory
between themselves, all of them nicely studied
and shelved by now, and then you may get a
literary norm (or even lots of those) which is
(usually) an amalgam of said dialects, having
set of grammar superimposed.

I mean, should the dialects labelled on par with
the literary norms, or should there be some
special recognition codes, rules for subtag
sequences or something else of the kind?

I'm asking because in the previous discussion I
saw several references to "standard" language
which shouldn't be (or can't be?)
classified/branded by a dialectal features, like
*kavian or anything, only by the norm-setting
name/year/body.

-Yury