New variant subtags for Serbian language

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 17:37:04 CET 2013

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Yury Tarasievich
<yury.tarasievich at gmail.com> wrote:
> Would there be a distinction made between the literary norm and spoken
> dialects? Need there be one? The recent small discussion on the Ekavian etc.
> made me wonder if the difference is, well, appreciated enough.

"milk" is "mleko" in Ekavian, while "mlijeko" in Iyekavian; "notepad"
is "beležnica" in Ekavian, while "bilježnica" in Iyekavian; "white"
(nom. sing. m.) is "beo" in Ekavian, while "bijel" is preferred in
Iyekavian: both in spoken and written form. The set of words which
differ is greater than 20,000 (there is a tool for word conversion
with 20,000 words).