Registration request for new subtag

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Thu Nov 14 18:44:29 CET 2013

If there is low mutual intelligibility between the varieties, that raises the question as to whether they should, instead, be considered distinct, individual languages – in which case separate ISO 639-3 IDs would be more appropriate than a variant subtag.

I’m not assuming that the two varieties should be considered different languages; I’m just raising the question. Levels of spoken intelligibility between varieties is only one consideration; others might include internal attitudes and perception of identity, local language policy, and the role and status of writing and literature.

Peter