Cabo Verde

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 6 00:03:52 CET 2013

Hi.

Doug Ewell
    doug at ewellic.org

    Sun Nov  3 00:19:30 CET 2013

> The United Nations Statistics Division has changed the name associated
with code element 132 from "Cape
> Verde" to "Cabo Verde" as of November
1.

> here has been no corresponding change yet in ISO 3166-1 for code
element 'CV'. When this kind of thing
> happens, it usually takes ISO
3166/MA a few weeks to a few months to follow suit.

> The following article from Panapress sheds some light:

> (original Portuguese)

> Nova York - A missão permanente cabo-verdiana nas Nações Unidas
anunciou que o Governo de Cabo Verde
> decidiu manter a designação oficial
de "República de Cabo Verde" em todas as correspondências oficiais,

> pondo fim à sua tradução em línguas estrangeiras.

> Numa carta endereçada aos países-membros da ONU e ao
Secretário-Geral da organização, o representante > permamente de Cabo
Verde, António Pedro Monteiro Lima, revela que, doravante,  o nome
oficial de "Cabo
> Verde" será o mesmo em todas as línguas oficiais no
seio da ONU.

> Segundo ele, a denominação "Cabo Verde" não deverá ser objeto de
tradução nas outras línguas, sublinhando > que a designação completa em
inglês deverá ser "Republic of Cabo Verde" e "République de Cabo Verde"
em
> francês.

> (translation by Google, except for country name)

> New York - The Permanent Mission of Cabo Verde to the United Nations
announced that the Government of
> Cabo Verde has decided to keep the
official name of "República de Cabo Verde" in all official
correspondence, > ending its foreign language translation.

> In a letter addressed to the member states of the UN and the
Secretary General of the organization, the
> permanent representative of
Cabo Verde, António Pedro Monteiro Lima, reveals that henceforth the
official
> name of "Cabo Verde" will be the same in all the official
languages within the UN.

> According to him, the name "Cabo Verde" shall not be subject to
translation into other languages​​, stressing
> that the full name in
English should be "Republic of Cabo Verde" and "République de Cabo
Verde" in French.

I thought that Google had left "Nova York" untranslated in its own translation, but I checked I saw that it had been translated (neat to notice that "New York" is "Nova York" in Portuguese, but John Cowan does have a good point).
> If and when ISO 3166 (a primary source for country names for the IANA
Language Subtag Registry) picks up
> this change, I propose that we update
the Registry record for region subtag 'CV' as follows:

> Type: region

> Subtag: CV

> Added: 2005-10-16

> That is, the new Description field "Cabo Verde" would be listed first,
analogous to the rule in Section 3.1.5 for
> language subtags, but "Cape
Verde" would be retained in the second spot for compatibility.

I support this subtag request.

Best,

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com
> I expect there may be alternative proposals, so let's have this
discussion now so we can submit a form right
> away when the time comes.

> --
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, USA