gender voice variants

Mark Davis ☕ mark at macchiato.com
Sun Dec 23 03:11:18 CET 2012

You may have missed a message I wrote on these threads. If apps are all
monolithic, then I'd agree with you. For us they are not. You can be
forming an app out of separate components. These components are used with a
variety of apps. The main app would need to communicate the level of
desired formality to each of the modules it uses. Otherwise you end up with
a ransom-note effect.

Here's what I wrote (Dec 19):

"We actually have had a use case for formal vs informal.

Some (online) products are meant to be more 'social', and thus informal
(du), while some products are meant to be more 'business', thus formal (Sie).
The problem comes in when you have shared online components. You *really* don't
want to mix du and Sie on the same page, addressing the same user.

When the component is used within a social product, the product should
select the locale "de-informal"* for the component, while when used in a
business product, the component should use the locale "de-formal"*."

Mark <https://plus.google.com/114199149796022210033>
*
*
*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*