gender voice variants

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Tue Dec 18 17:44:12 CET 2012

Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft dot com> wrote:

> I don't recall that anyone has ever proposed variant subtags for male
> voice vs. female voice for use on speech assets. (I suppose child
> voice might be another relevant variant.) Does it seem appropriate to
> handle these voice distinctions via variant subtags on a language tag?

This sounds distressingly like the suggestions made around 2005, during
the development of RFC 4646, that it needed to encompass formal and
informal, parent-child and child-parent, happy and sad, shouted and
whispered, and so forth.

Those comments were made in one of many attempts to kill the document by
weighing it down with impossibly far-reaching scope, although it goes
without saying that Peter has no such intent. All the same, we might
want to consider in advance how far down this path we want to go.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA
http://www.ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­