1945 subtag - Re: Ietf-languages Digest, Vol 104, Issue 2

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 13 00:36:21 CEST 2011

Hi, Joao, Francisco, Antonio, all:

Francisco Miguel Valada fmvalada at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 12 16:16:02 CEST 2011

> João,

> 1) About the 1931 agreement:

> a) It was not fully implemented, since Academia das
> Ciências did not accept the deletion of mute consonantal letters

> this is the agreement (7 paragraphs)
>
> http://dre.pt/pdfgratis/1931/05/12000.pdf
>
> this is the agreement without the first paragraph
>
> http://dre.pt/pdfgratis/1931/06/12600.pdf
>
> b) In Brazil, the enforcement had ups and downs, I
> will spare you the details, you can read the full story here (see page 1) http://dre.pt/pdfgratis/1945/12/27300.pdf

> c) The 1931 changes were minor changes and, in my
> opinion, they do not deserve a subtag such as 1911, 1945 and 1990 do.

> 2 – Be careful! The “official vocabulary in http://www.portaldalinguaportuguesa.org/” is misleading and ambiguous.
> There are several examples. I won’t make them public, since I would be helping people who do not do their homework (the people in
> ILTEC in charge of the vocabulary), and I only give credit to those who study and do their homework.

> I can only assure you that they deleted too many consonants...
> Cheers,

> Francisco Miguel Valada

> +32479855056

Hi, it's my understanding also from previous conversation on the list and from what I read elsewhere that the 1931 agreement came out of the 1911 changes
and that it was re-implemented in 1943;
then more changes came in 1945;
so I only see 3 agreements.

Then of course there is pre-1911

(Since I am not Portuguese, someone may, if he/she wishes, tell me if my info. is accurate or not.  From what I could read of http://dre.pt/pdfgratis/1931/05/12000.pdf  ; I did manage to go through the 7 paragraphs!  these changes -- the replacement of Greek consonant clusters such as ph with f, and the elimination of silent consonants, excepting things like the double r, seem to be quite similar to the changes proposed  the 1904
l’oeuvre Orthographe nationale ["National Orthography Treatise"], by Aniceto dos Reis Gonçalves Viana; I've pasted below this my previous reply to Joao and others with the link to the article describing Aniceto dos Reis Goncalves Viana's work and the three reforms, in case anyone needs that. )

But I personally think 3 subtags, plus if you like a pre-1911 tag (with no hyphen as Philip says), will probably do.

It's quite nice of Joao to write these requests (that is, if he chooses to write the requests for all three or four subtags).

Best,

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com

* * *