Tagging transliterations from a specific script

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Fri Mar 18 01:01:04 CET 2011

From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Doug Ewell

> Given that, I don't see what is so broken about the subtag 'alalc97'.

Quoting from his original message that started this thread:

"the ALA-LC system is defined for Arabic scripts and for Cyrillic scripts, but the systems lead to very different representations"

If ALA-LC defines multiple, distinct conventions, then it does not make sense to have one ambiguous tag to refer to those distinct conventions: it simply sets us up to face the very problem we are now dealing with.

Peter