Applying for a Neo subtag

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at telia.com
Mon Mar 7 21:38:13 CET 2011

Den 2011-03-07 19:40, skrev "Michael Everson" <everson at evertype.com>:

> On 7 Mar 2011, at 18:24, Doug Ewell wrote:
>
>> Kent's reply is correct.  In case ISO 639-3/RA rejects Michael's
>> request, the alternative course of action("discouraged" according to Section
>> 2.2.1) is to propose a registered language subtag, not a variant under 'art'
>> or anything else.
>
> I thought all these people were working on things that would parse language
> tags, which start with two or three letters. So there's nothing.

BCP 47 language tags can start with one letter (x or i); two or three
letters: from ISO 639-1, -2, -3, -5; or 5-8 letters. Four letter primary
language subtags are also in principle allowed, but reserved for future use;
none can be registered without updating BCP 47 (i.e. a new round of LTRU).

> Anyway I think my reasonable expectations are that 639-3 will accept "neu".

And would make it easy for this list...

    /Kent K