Applying for a Neo subtag

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Mon Mar 7 19:53:42 CET 2011

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

>> Kent's reply is correct.  In case ISO 639-3/RA rejects Michael's
>> request, the alternative course of action ("discouraged" according
>> to Section 2.2.1) is to propose a registered language subtag, not a
>> variant under 'art' or anything else.
>
> I thought all these people were working on things that would parse
> language tags, which start with two or three letters. So there's
> nothing.

Smart people who are working on parsers that are meant to be conformant
to BCP 47 are including support for language subtags of 5 to 8 letters,
even if none are assigned yet.  They are part of the ABNF.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14 | ietf-languages @ is dot gd slash 2kf0s ­