Proposed new variant subtag: pre1917

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Wed Sep 8 14:57:05 CEST 2010

Avram Lyon <ajlyon at ucla dot edu> wrote:

>      Type: variant
>      Subtag: pre1917

As is usually the case, I think it would be great if the proposed
subtag(s) could be identified other than by the year the orthography was
introduced (or retired).  Year-based subtags may be unnecessarily
cryptic, or may inadvertently invite generic application in cases where
another language variation of some sort happens to be associated with
the year 1917.  (Usage with both 'ru' and 'orv' is not the problem.)

I understand that spelling reforms often aren't given names, and this
may be the best we can do.  But I hope there is a better alternative.

You can have one subtag for what we are calling the pre-1917 standard
and another for the post-1917 standard, without requiring all existing
Russian text to use the "post-1917" subtag.  Variant subtags, like
region and script subtags, are pretty much always optional; even
Boontling is English.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14 | ietf-languages @ is dot gd slash 2kf0s ­