Proposed new variant subtag: pre1917

Philip Newton philip.newton at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 12:40:07 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 09:44, Avram Lyon <ajlyon at ucla.edu> wrote:
> For my purposes, I really just need to be able to mark texts that use
> the post-1917 orthography, but since that is the current orthography,
> I can't very well insist that the tagging of all Russian texts
> produced today employ a variant subtag.

Section 4.1 of RFC 5646 comes to mind, especially the initial
unnumbered section as well as subsection 1 (and the first four words
of subsection 6).

Since the current orthography is the default, "ru" may be sufficiently
precise. If it isn't, you can be more precise by adding a variant
subtag.  In the end, individual circumstances dictate how
specific/precise tagging has to be.

Cheers,
Philip
--