Correction for pinyin

Mark Davis ☕ mark at macchiato.com
Tue Mar 9 15:51:47 CET 2010

The main goal of the Description is not to completely *describe* the
language tag; instead, it is to *distinguish* it from other tags with which
it could be confused.

So given that it is a quite natural mistake to think that the term "Pinyin"
means what 99% of those knowing the word think it means (applying to over a
billion people), rather than the minute fraction of a percent who would
realize that it means something quite different (applying to 27K people), we
owe it to readers to be quite clear about this.

What you suggest is probably adequate, but we might go so far as:

Pinyin (a Niger-Congo language spoken in Cameroon)

Mark