Machine Translation

Felix Sasaki felix.sasaki at fh-potsdam.de
Fri Sep 11 13:57:18 CEST 2009

2009/9/11 Kent Karlsson <kent.karlsson14 at comhem.se>

> Den 2009-09-10 10.40, skrev "Felix Sasaki" <felix.sasaki at fh-potsdam.de>:
>
> There is another reason not to have a machine translation subtag: That kind
> of information is already covered by vocabularies like XLIFF, see
> http://docs.oasis-open.org/xliff/v1.2/cs02/xliff-core.html
> and search for "leveraged-mt".
>
> Felix
>

> To quote the table in full:
> ==================================
> state-qualifier
>
> State-qualifier - Describes the state of a particular translation in a*<target
> *> or* <bin-target*> element.
>
> Value description:
>
> The pre-defined values are defined in the table below.
>
> Value    *Description
> *exact-match    Indicates an exact match. An exact match occurs when a
> source text of a segment is exactly the same as the source text of a segment
> that was translated previously.
> fuzzy-match    Indicates a fuzzy match. A fuzzy match occurs when a source
> text of a segment is very similar to the source text of a segment that was
> translated previously (e.g. when the difference is casing, a few changed
> words, white-space discripancy, etc.).
> id-match    Indicates a match based on matching IDs (in addition to
> matching text).
> leveraged-glossary    Indicates a translation derived from a glossary.
> leveraged-inherited    Indicates a translation derived from existing
> translation.
> leveraged-mt    Indicates a translation derived from machine translation.
> leveraged-repository    Indicates a translation derived from a translation
> repository.
> leveraged-tm    Indicates a translation derived from a translation memory.
> mt-suggestion    Indicates the translation is suggested by machine
> translation.
> rejected-grammar    Indicates that the item has been rejected because of
> incorrect grammar.
> rejected-inaccurate    Indicates that the item has been rejected because
> it is incorrect.
> rejected-length    Indicates that the item has been rejected because it is
> too long or too short.
> rejected-spelling    Indicates that the item has been rejected because of
> incorrect spelling.
> tm-suggestion    Indicates the translation is suggested by translation
> memory.
> In addition, user-defined values can be used with this attribute. A
> user-defined value must start with an "x-" prefix.
>
> ===================
>
> ("mt-suggestion" seems to be closer in intent than "leveraged-mt" to the
> suggestion in the origin of this thread)
>
> The problem with this is that it applies to XLIFF (XML Localization
> Interchange File Format) only. A language tag extension, in contrast, can be
> used
> anywhere language tags can already be used.

Yes, but in XLIFF it is a common to store such information in a separate
field, that is not as part of a language identifier (which are used as well
in XLIFF, via xml:lang). Having a language identifier with similar
information would create confusion.

> I think variant subtag(s) for this is quite inappropriate. It is not a
> language (or orthography) variant; it is a translation status indication
> that is being discussed in this thread.

I did not propose the table as an input for variant subtags. I rather think
that people who mostly need the use case discussed in this thread (the
localization industry) lalready have the means the need - they just do not
rely on language tags for the purpose of identifying machine translated
content.

Felix