Machine Translation

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Thu Sep 10 17:56:40 CEST 2009

Michael, this is you at your worst in the role of Reviewer. You're reacting just the same way as you did when we had requests for tags for "Latin American Spanish": it doesn't fit your understanding of linguistic realities, and so you think it's out of scope. You're wrong!

The whole purpose of IETF language tags is to be used in processes. There is no reason to tag content unless some process somewhere is going to do something with that information.

I'm not at all convinced that there are reasonable use cases that warrant a subtag (or extension) for indicating MT content, but I really object to you ruling this out from the outset.

Peter