Criteria for languages?

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Mon Nov 23 07:06:57 CET 2009

Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft dot com> wrote:

> Now, in the case of lav, the MARC Language Code List
> (http://www.loc.gov/marc/languages/language_name.html) explicitly
> states that Latgalian is encompassed under lav. So, option 2 would
> break compatibility with MARC. We should not consider option 2 unless
> the MARC community explicitly indicates that this is acceptable.

"We," of course, meaning the ISO 639-3/RA.  As Peter and many others
know -- but some may not -- the IANA Language Subtag Registry will
follow whichever of Peter's three options the RA chooses.

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­