Variant subtag proposal: ALA-LC romanization of Russian

Mark Davis ☕ mark at macchiato.com
Mon Nov 16 00:40:14 CET 2009

I agree with the need. But I think we should rethink the naming. We will
have

ru-Latn-rusloc

But then we'll need Hebrew, and Arabic, and Thai, and... We don't want to
have

he-Latn-hebloc
ar-Latn-arabloc
th-Latn-thailoc

There are a very large number of transliteration schemes, and
transliteration authorities (by that, I mean any organization that
establishes one or more transliteration schemes). Encoding both the
authority and the language into the variant tag will lead to an explosion of
variants. And it is redundant information; we already know from the other
components of the above tag that it is a romanization of Russian.

It would be better instead to just encode a single variant tag meaning
"transliterated according to the LOC". Then we could have:

ru-Latn-trloc
he-Latn-trloc
etc.

ru-Latn-trcldr
he-Latn-trcldr
etc.

en-Cyrl-trgost
ja-Cyrl-trgost
etc.

Speaking from a CLDR viewpoint, that would enable effective translation of
the variant tags, since we wouldn't have to have tables of translations of
redundant information.

Mark