little reminder ;)

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Wed May 27 14:54:02 CEST 2009

Thomas Goldammer <thogol at googlemail dot com> wrote:

> Btw..., what is about my request on Erzgebirgisch of (IIRC) March
> 2008? I didn't hear about it for quite a while... I actually do want
> it to be tagged to [vmf] because that's the linguistic affiliation and
> for those who know both varieties and also [sxu], it's obvious anyway.

It hasn't been forgotten.  Unfortunately, choosing a Prefix of either
'vmf' or 'sxu' requires that this request wait for the approval of RFC
4646bis, which will support ISO 639-3-based subtags like these, and RFC
4646bis is *still* caught up in the same cycle of endless debate and
delay as it was a year ago.

Each time a new reviewer brings up a minor or previously discussed
topic, we spend weeks debating it, taking straw polls, waiting for the
revised text to be fine-tuned, and sometimes just waiting for days or
weeks for no apparent reason.  At this moment, there are discussions
about deleting a single "unnecessary" reference (spotted by an outside
reviewer) that had existed in predecessor documents for 8 years without
controversy.  Even though the document has long since cleared Working
Group Last Call and IETF Last Call, these cycles of delay continue.

Meanwhile, users like you who are simply waiting for ISO 639-3 code
elements to become available have no choice but to continue waiting.  I
was one of the people who assured you last year that we would surely be
done by the end of 2008, and I apologize for that.  At this rate I can't
even promise 2009.

http://www.ewellic.org