Proposal to remove Preferred-Value field for region YU in LTRU

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 28 16:36:20 CET 2009

Hi.  Considering the current rule, which Doug has reminded of, that we need to have a subtag's preferred value point to whatever it points to points to,

instead of forcing readers/implementations to follow a chain, at this point I support removing the preferred-value and adding a comment as soon as it becomes possible to add a comment.

Tex Texin textexin at xencraft.com
Fri Feb 27 21:55:22 CET 2009

> 8) Separate topic- The number of countries in the world seems to grow. This suggests to me that regions being subdivided is not going to be a rare event. Perhaps there should be a mechanism to indicate subtags that have later been split, so instead of one preferred value, there is a way to indicate that a tag has been deprecated in favor of two or more possible values.
However, I do think Tex's point is good here; the issue of countries that separate should be addressed in the next draft of RFC 4646, but I agree we cannot address this at this time.Hopefully a comment will be sufficient for the interim.--C. E. Whiteheadcewcathar at hotmail.com