French orthography on the Internet (Was: BCP47 Appeals process)

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at
Fri Sep 19 16:26:24 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 07:19:29AM -0600,
 Doug Ewell <doug at> wrote
 a message of 26 lines which said:

> I can't tell whether you feel it is a legitimate variation or not.

I'm not 100 % sure of the meaning of "legitimate".

If it means that I approve this orthography or not, well, this is
irrelevant: people speak and write languages as they want, regardless
of my opinion.

If it means there is an actual use, well, there certainly is, but it
is typically only in the deepness of private discussions, so it is
hard to gauge its importance.