pinyin (and wadegile) request has gotten derailed

Tracey, Niall niall.tracey at logica.com
Wed Sep 17 10:58:56 CEST 2008

John Cowan said:
> In eny case, a 20% orthografic dissimilarity iz not a verry large barrier
> to mutchual intelligibility if the transformations ar systematic with no
> restructchuring.

That depends what you mean by "systematic" and "restructuring".

Besides, your example is merely a demonstration of the massive redundancy in English orthography. Your text can be read phonetically by any literate native English speaker. Wouldn't we be better looking at an example that doesn't exploit the unique position of English?

1 2we24 5ercen2 5r2h5gr15hic dissimil1rit4 c1n be a VERY l1rge b1rrier t5 mu2u1l in2elligibili24!

Yes, you can decode it, but would you have been able to do it so quickly if it wasn't a reworking of your sentence? In my orthography, with 5 out of 26 letters changed (<20%), only half the words are quickly recognisable. I wrote it, and my brain still doesn't want to accept "t5" as "to"

Níall.