pinyin (and wadegile) request has gotten derailed

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Sep 17 05:06:22 CEST 2008

Peter Constable scripsit:

> IIRC, in dialect surveys conducted by SIL to support research on the
> Ethnologue, a 20% lexical dissimilarity is generally treated as likely
> indicating significant barriers to functional intelligibility. Lexical
> similarity is, I think, a good analogy for orthographic similarity,
> and so I suspect Randy has a very valid point.

I am *not* proposing the same tag for HYPY and TYPY, only the use of a
common language subtag and a common variant subtag.

In eny case, a 20% orthografic dissimilarity iz not a verry large barrier
to mutchual intelligibility if the transformations ar systematic with
no restructchuring.

John Cowan   http://ccil.org/~cowan  cowan at ccil.org
[P]olice in many lands are now complaining that local arrestees are insisting
on having their Miranda rights read to them, just like perps in American TV
cop shows.  When it's explained to them that they are in a different country,
where those rights do not exist, they become outraged.  --Neal Stephenson