LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM (R5r2): pinyin

Mark Davis mark at macchiato.com
Mon Oct 6 18:14:48 CEST 2008

If the tag is going to be applied broadly, which I can live with, then the
text needs a bit of fixing for consistency. See below.
Mark

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 5:57 PM, Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>wrote:

> 5Rr has been out for a week without any serious objection, though I
> think some clarification could be made in section 4 as given below:
>
> =========
> LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM
> 1. Name of requester:
>
> Mark Davis
>
> 2. E-mail address of requester:
>
> markdavis at google.com
>
> 3. Record Requested:
>
> Type: variant
> Subtag: pinyin
> Prefix: zh-Latn
> Prefix: bo-Latn
>
> 4. Intended meaning of the subtag:
>
> To be used to indicate transcriptions, typically of Mandarin Chinese,

If you are broadening the term to more than zh, then it should not say
"typically", but instead say:

To be used to indicate transcriptions in a system of romanization approved
by the Chinese government, and first applied to Mandarin Chinese on February
11, 1958-02-11 and adopted by the International
Organization for Standardization as an
international standard in 1982

> in the system approved for Mandarin Chinese by the Chinese government
> on February 11, 1958-02-11 and adopted by the International
> Organization for Standardization as an
> international standard in 1982. Salient features of Pinyin
> romanization are the use of <j q x zh ch sh> for [tɕ tɕʰ ɕ ʈʂ
> ʈʂʰ ʂ] respectively.

If the term is going to be applied broadly, then "Salient
features...respectively." needs to be removed. Otherwise, it would imply
that any tag using it, like bo-Latn-pinyin, did use all of <j q x zh ch sh>
in the transliteration and for exactly [tɕ tɕʰ ɕ ʈʂ ʈʂʰ ʂ]. That will not be
always true. Alternatively, you could say "The salient features of Pinyin as
applied to Mandarin ..."

The subtag zh-Latn-pinyin refers to Hanyu

to the

> Pinyin romanization of Mandarin Chinese.

> The romanization system has
> been extended to some other languages in China by Chinese authorities
> and others.

Remove "The romanization ... and others".

The subtag bo-Latn-pinyin