Erzgebirgisch Classification Question

Randy Presuhn randy_presuhn at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 31 22:08:14 CEST 2008

Hi -

The guy on the street in Leipzig may well tell you it *is* "de".  :-)
But it is important to distinguish regional accent from dialect in
these discussions.

> other "gem" languages like "frr" or "fy" are not.  IMO closer
> than "nds" or "gsw", but IANAL (as in "not a linguist" ;-)

This perception is supported by common classifications of German
dialects, with put both "de" and "sxu" into a "central German" basket
within the larger "high German" grouping, which in turn includes
"gsw".  "nds" on the other hand is even more distantly related, having
missed some consonant shifts.

Randy