Erzgebirgisch Classification Question

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 31 19:39:23 CEST 2008

Hi, I'm not an expert on Germanic languages but have some doubts as to whether [sxu] is the appropriate prefix; indeed; Thomas says he has another analysis -- and I'd like to see that I guess & try to decide.

I cannot decide whether [sxu] or [gem] is the appropriate prefix; why does Frank prefer [de] to [gem]--is Erzgebirgisch  that close to German?

Thanks.

--C. E. Whitehead

Frank Ellermann nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de
Mon Mar 31 17:22:51 CEST 2008

> Doug Ewell wrote:

> a Prefix field cannot be independently deprecated, and can never
> be removed.  Therefore, the analogy with deprecated subtags is
> not appropriate.

> +1

Thanks, Frank & Doug for explaining this; sorry I goofed here.  (Wishful thinking on my part maybe.)

>> We should register 'erzgeb' only with the Prefix field that will
>> be correct in the long term, which is "sxu"
??
> If I'd feel a sudden urge to request "erzgeb" I'd ask for prefix
> "de" for various reasons akready stated here.  As I don't feel
> this urge the point is moot.  Thomas' plan to wait for "sxu" and
> later prove that sxu-erzgeb is linguistically dubious at best . . .

?? +1 to some extent

>> that means we should wait until 'sxu' is a valid language subtag,
>> which will happen when RFC 4646bis and RFC 4645bis are approved.

> s/when/if/  The last draft I've seen proposes to register pseudo-
> regions dg, ea, eu, ic, and more, excluding the relevant case uk.

 Is this really so?

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com