ID for language-invariant strings

Marion Gunn mgunn at egt.ie
Fri Mar 14 20:25:16 CET 2008

Scríobh "Tracey, Niall" <niall.tracey at logica.com>
> I've been lurking for a while and I thought I'd stick my head above
> the parapet with a quick observation.

Me2

> I think this question has gone too deep into the technicalities
> without first considering a simpler, everyday example of the problem
> at hand...

Actually, what I was thinking of was the matter of trade and proprietary
names: Trados, Microsoft, Windows, Apple, etc., being untranslatable,
although at least in the case of the latter 2 a translator has initially
to restrain himself/herself by  main force from automatically  rendering
them in his/own language, so maybe tagging such as such could be useful,
if tagging them at machine level is practical, in the same was as the
more clever localizing packages I use lock such items so novice
translators can't get at them (a great boon to me when sorting out the
work of dozens of translators shunted my way for QA - but that is
irrelevant to the current discussion about tagging for other reasons
entirely, so I'll stop there!).

> Now I'll go back to lurking.
Why? A fresh voice on a list is tantamount to a breath of fresh air.
Would love to know if you/I have guessed aright the meaning and purpose
of this new topic. I see several other ietf msgs awaiting my attention
so, with luck, one will contain the answer we2 seek. If not, the matter
of satisfying my own curiosity on this matter can easily wait a few
days, while Ireland shuts down for the long weekend, while we kick up
our collective heels in honour of our Sainted Patron (Patrick).
mg

--

Marion Gunn * EGTeo (Estab.1991)
27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn, Baile an