ID for language-invariant strings

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 13 17:43:10 CET 2008

Hi.
I agree that [mis] is not appropriate.   I'm not sure that [zxx] is appropriate either (I'd have to see the strings).  Regarding [und], that is for when you "can't be reasonably sure what the language is" () and the text it is embedded in is tagged for language (http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-no-language) (I'd have to see the strings again to form an opionion on the appropriateness of [und]).

Regarding [i-default],
section 4.5 of RFC 2277 ( http://www.iana.org/assignments/lang-tags/i-default ) begins
"When human-readable text must be presented in a context where the   sender has no knowledge of the recipient's language preferences (such   as login failures or E-mailed warnings, or prior to language   negotiation), text SHOULD be presented in Default Language."

Michael Everson suggested you send us the text in question, and, if you don't think [i-default] is appropriate, then you might send it and explain why, I guess.
--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com
> From: Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft.com>> Subject: ID for language-invariant strings> To: "ietf-languages at iana.org" <ietf-languages at iana.org>> Message-ID:> <DDB6DE6E9D27DD478AE6D1BBBB83579562DEA50201 at NA-EXMSG-C117.redmond.corp.microsoft.com>> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"> > What are people's thoughts about language tagging for language-invariant strings?> > I'm working with a group on an application scenario in which we have a table of strings in various languages that name entities, but we also need to support entries that have a reference name that is considered a language-neutral form of a name for a given entity.> > Strictly speaking, these would be strings intended for programmatic operation and not human
> consumption, and so, some might argue, are not in scope for IETF language tags. However,
> these are exceptional: almost all of the strings in the same table are intended for human
> consumption, and RFC 4646 is the spec being applied for identifying the language of strings in > the table. Moreover, the strings in question *are* (in general) in a human language; they are > just the values that are adopted to be used for language-neutral referencing.> > The "i-default" tag is not appropriate for this: these are not default display strings.
??? I'd like to see the strings.