Principles of Operation (was: LANGUAGE SUBTAG REQUEST FORM, Erzgebirgisch)

Frank Ellermann nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de
Tue Jan 29 19:10:28 CET 2008

Ciarán Ó Duibhín wrote:

> The unsatisfactory mix of linguistic and political criteria
> is already evident in that short list.

Yes, de-bitburg would be odd if it's about the same as lb-DE.
And if de-freiburg is actually gsw-DE (example, maybe wrong)
it's another case of one tag too many.

OTOH where something like "alsatian" or "erzgeb" is relevant
telling them to use gsw-FR or even sxu-DE could be wrong.

BTW, I don't think it's limited to "de", we could run into
similar issues with "oc", "an", "li", etc.

For your two extreme (~ clean) proposals I'd say it depends,
decide it case by case.

 Frank