LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION FORM

Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com
Wed Jan 9 23:43:58 CET 2008

Well then, let's push the envelope. I still think it's good to have the
request in process at ISO. As Ethnologue makes it clear that this dialect
is included in gsw (639-3), I don't think there should be a problem with
the ISO change request.

This seems to be a fairly noncontroversial use of this 4646 provision for
adding additional names and one that should help clarify the use of "gsw"
for rogue language taggers who do not closely follow every change request
to ISO and IANA data, and all the e-mail on the LTRU listserv.

Michael: Please consider my "gsw" Modification Request to be active as per
Addison's comments.

Regards,

Karen Broome

Addison Phillips <addison at yahoo-inc.com>
01/09/2008 02:24 PM

Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com
cc
ietf-languages at iana.org
Subject
Re: LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION FORM

Note: although it has never been done, RFC 4646 does permit additional
descriptions, in any language, to be registered for a subtag. The only
restriction is that changing the restriction cannot change or narrow the
meaning of the subtag.

In practice, I think we should mostly follow what ISO does, but it is
NOT a requirement and this is one of the types of cases for which it was
envisioned.

Addison

Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com wrote:

> Ah .... I will make the change request to ISO if that's where it
> belongs. If this tag was ISO 639-3 only, the reference to Ethnologue
> might be more valid. But yeah, this is ISO 639-2 and ISO 639-3. Have we
> ever veered from the ISO language list's names in language descriptions
> (other than to delete the French names)?
>
> Karen Broome
>

> *Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>*
>
> 01/09/2008 01:51 PM

>                Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com, ietf-languages at iana.org
> cc
>
> Subject
>                Re: LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION FORM
>

> Is this properly for us or for ISO 639?
>

> At 13:43 -0800 2008-01-09, Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com wrote:
>  >LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION FORM
>  >
>  >1. Name of requester:  Karen Broome
>  >2. E-mail address of requester:  karen_broome at spe.sony.com
>  >3. Record Requested:
>  >
>  >Type: Language
>  >Subtag: gsw
>  >Prefix:
>  >Preferred-Value:
>  >Deprecated:
>  >Suppress-Script: Latn
>  >Comments:
>  >
>  >
>  >4. Intended meaning of the subtag:
>  >
>  >Not applicable
>  >
>  >5. Reference to published description of the language (book or
article):
>  >
>  >Gordon, Raymond G., Jr. (ed.), 2005. Ethnologue: Languages of the
World,
>  >Fifteenth edition. Dallas, Tex.: SIL International.
>  >
>  >http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=gsw
>  >
>  >
>  >6. Any other relevant information:
>  >
>  >This is a request to add Alsatian to the description list for Swiss
German
>  >(gsw). This will not only clarify that this dialect is included in the
gsw
>  >tag, but also improve search functions for users trying to find the
>  >correct tag for the French dialect of this language in the IANA
registry.
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >Karen Broome
>  >Metadata Systems Designer
>  >Sony Pictures Entertainment
>  >310.244.4384
>  >
>  >Ietf-languages mailing list
>  >Ietf-languages at alvestrand.no
>

> --

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Yahoo! Inc.
Chair -- W3C Internationalization Core WG

It is not a feature.