About appeals

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 11 21:19:07 CEST 2008

Hi!  I originally supported having the registry as an ansi or ascii text file, but if we go to UTF-8 we might as well go to xml so as to indicate the character set I guess.  It is a problem to download utf-8 files as anything but ASCII on some computers here too--that makes for ? marks & such replacing characters not available in ASCII.  (But I'm hoping the plain text files will continue to be available somewhere . . . as ansi, as utf-8; I got into this discussion long ago.)  --C. E. Whiteheadcewcathar at hotmail.comDate: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 05:52:57 +0200From: "Frank Ellermann" nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de > Doug Ewell wrote:[registry file format] > > Note that these are two different arguments; UTF-8 need not > > imply XML. > XML offers a way to indicate> this charset *within* a document (unlike text/plain > BOM kludges).> In comparison with XML "record-jar" is an obscure format, it has> no MIME type, it will be handled as "some kind of text/plain" in> practice. And text/plain means ASCII or any local charset, as it> happens this is not UTF-8 on my platform (was OS/2, now > Windows).