Erzgebirgisch Classification Question

Ciarán Ó Duibhín ciaran at oduibhin.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Apr 3 15:49:01 CEST 2008

John Cowan wrote:

> Ciarán ? Duibh n scripsit:
>
> > Thomas has magnanimously accepted "sxu",
> > but back in January he gave his reasons for regarding Erzgebirgisch as a
> > form of Franconian (and I assume Franconian would have prefix "de").
>
> Not necessarily: there are a number of ISO 639-3 languages that are said
> to be Franconian (unfortunately the term seems to cover the whole course
> of the Rhine from Upper German to Dutch varieties).

Sorry, John and Randy, I should have been more explicit and said "I assume
those forms of Franconian to which Erzgebirgisch shows similarities would
have prefix 'de'".  My purpose was to explore the reasonableness of "de" as
a prefix for Erzgebirgish, not to suggest "nl" or "lb" as the prefix!

Ciarán Ó Duibhín