Erzgebirgisch Classification Question

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Tue Apr 1 16:53:58 CEST 2008

Ciarán Ó Duibhín <ciaran at oduibhin dot freeserve dot co dot uk> wrote:

>> We should register 'erzgeb' only with the Prefix field that will be
>> correct in the long term, which is "sxu", and that means we should
>> wait until 'sxu' is a valid language subtag, which will happen when
>> RFC 4646bis and RFC 4645bis are approved.
>
> Until I read the above, I thought that Doug's view was that it is not
> critical that the chosen prefix will be correct in the long term:
>
>> Our goal in registering variants like 'erzgeb' is to allow legitimate
>> language variations to be tagged, not to provide tags with perfect
>> mnemonic or language-hierarchy value.

Sorry, I'm not writing very carefully this week; moving house is taking
a higher priority.

What I should have said was that we should register 'erzgeb' only with
the Prefix field with which we will be *satisfied* in the long term.
The proposer of the subtag seemed to be satisfied with "sxu".  The
important point is that not to think in terms of "improving" the subtag
choice at a later date.

http://www.ewellic.org