Konkani Suppress-Script

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 2 21:48:56 CEST 2007

Hi, I am not particular about where you all discuss guidelines for suppress
script, but after being mostly a passive observer of the arguments for and
against suppress-script for Korean and then for Konkani, and after doing
some research on the Korean scripts (with help from someone else; I am not
qualified to research Korean) and after perfunctorily reviewing a few
Konkani sites (again I am not qualified to research the scripts really),

I would love to see some guidelines too; to me both the suppress-scripts
you've pushed for-- for Konkani and Korean -- could be debated!!

* * *

Retrieving Konkani language texts does not seem to be a search engine
language option; but there are a few sites on Konkani--for learning Konkani,
Konkani dictionaries, sites on the language, language news.  Some include
text in Konkani.

Here is a quick review of relevant online sites:

1.
A Sample site with words in Konkani (put in an English word; you will get a
Konkani translation):

http://www.savemylanguage.org/app/englishtokonkani.php
http://www.savemylanguage.org/app/home.php

Script???  Not sure of script but not Roman or Arabic !

* * *
2.  News on the scripts

http://international.zeenews.com/inner1.asp?aid=194097&ssid=2&sid=ART

Nagari and Kannada are both possible scripts for Konkani

* * *

3.  Language Site

http://fredericknoronha.wordpress.com/2006/09/06/konkani-language-and-script-sod-10/
http://www.tskk.org/
This Jesuit Konkani language site (not all Konkanis are Jesuits of course)
preferred Devanagaria at one point but now prefers Romi apparently.

* * *

4.
Here’s another site on the Konkani language:

Konkani language foundation--just a url, no site available yet:
http://www.vishwakonkani.org/

Debbie Garside’s
http://www.country-studies.com/india/linguistic-relations.html  is good
evidence however that there is argument as are the sites I retrieved (some
preferring Romi, some Nagari, some Kannada; I could not tell which was most
in use)!

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com