Converting non-ASCII to ASCII

Addison Phillips addison at yahoo-inc.com
Tue Jun 26 20:57:14 CEST 2007

CE Whitehead wrote:

>> > The question of providing pure-ASCII transliterations for every
>> string > in the Registry that includes a hex NCR, even something like
>> > Provençal, is an operational detail, and does belong on this
>> list > IMHO.
>
> for ltru then?

No. LTRU is for discussing rules and requirements for items in the
registry. If you want to have (or not have) specific transliterations,
that is a registration request and/or policy discussion for ietf-languages.

> Thanks. Thus we can resubmit any/all comments fields to include
> transliterations here (who does that?  Anyone?  Michael Everson?).

No. You cannot resubmit a request in this case. You (or anyone,
including Michael) can submit a new request to modify an existing
record, subject to the subtag reviewer's approval and the discussion on
this list.

See RFC 4646, Section 3.5:

--
This procedure MAY also be used to register or alter the information for
the "Description", "Comments", "Deprecated", or "Prefix" fields in a

Addison

--
Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Yahoo! Inc.